Saturday, April 23, 2016

Letter to my grandson, adopted at birth

Written in 2010, the letter to Gregory was never sent. Some of the events in our life have long ranging effects. Children make adult decisions as teenagers that change the direction of their lives and those of their parents. 

Gregory,

For more than 20 years I have wondered about you. You were my first grandchild and for most of your years, my only one. I can honestly say that I thought about you often and always wished the best for you.

I am sorry that your parents were young and dumb but we did offer to adopt you so long ago. Your biological mother made that impossible so we took the only picture of you we had and put it in a safe place. Think what you might, I always held out hope that we would meet you someday. You are part of the family.

I am happy that your biological mother has made it possible for you to find my son. I am sorry about all the nasty emails that were part of the process. Email is not the best way to deal with issues that are important. So much can be misunderstood.

Thank you for contacting my son with the wish to meet him. We know you are only interested in biological medical information but that’s a whole lot more than he had before. Your email to your biological father was greatly appreciated. You made it abundantly clear you were not interested in talking to me. I understand and hope that you will change your mind.

It is fair for you to think of your biological family as strangers. You are a stranger to us as well. It is hard to decide what to think. On one hand, you are family who was taken from us by a frightened, hateful child. On the other hand, you may have had a better life than we could have provided.

In the meantime, we have adopted our other grandson. He is a joy and the reason we have rearranged out lives. We love him completely as we would have loved you. He knows about you and family is important to him. He loves his uncle, your biological father, and spends time with him.

I just want you to know the door will always be open. We are just people, not special, not unique. If you choose not to meet me, that's OK since I have gone this long without knowing who or where you were. I will take your picture and put it back in a safe place. I have no intention of reaching out to you or attempting to disturb your life. If you change your mind I will welcome the contact. The choice is and always will be yours.

Grandma

No comments:

Post a Comment